Sunday, November 21, 2010

Bern Switzerland Temple

The Bern Temple will always be a special temple to me. This is the first temple I had a chance to visit in a foreign country.

The part of Switzerland that this temple is in is generally French speaking. I assumed when we went to the temple the session would be in French. However, this temple serves members in Italy, France, Switzerland, Albania and Israel. Because they server such a diverse set of peoples they do the sessions in whatever language best fits the group that is in attendance that day. The day we attended happened to have many Italian speaking members so the session was in Italian.

They gave us the headsets to wear so that we could hear it in English. It was absolutely amazing to me to realize that the Church is the same worldwide. It is the same temple session no matter where in the world you decide to enter the temple. At the end, the temple worker at the veil was speaking French, while I was speaking English. I again marveled that it didn't matter what language we were speaking, I had just attended a session that had essentially been in three languages, Italian, French and English. The Lord understands all languages and He loves all his children no matter where they live.

This experience really touched me. Of course, I know that we had a world wide church and that there were temples all over the world but I got to experience firsthand what it is like to do the Lord's work in another language. I am so grateful that we are blessed with temples. I love that people all over the world can be blessed with temples.

After this experience I realized that I wanted to see a lot more temples. This was what made me start my whole idea of "temple tourism." I can't wait to continue to see the beauty of our Lord's house, both near to my home as well as all over the world.

Here are a few pictures we took of the Bern temple.







Also, you can view a gallery of the Bern Temple here

No comments:

Post a Comment